Indomitum

User info

Welcome, Guest! Please login or register.

You are here » Indomitum » Stories EN » Go back home | Notes of a returnee ¤d¤

Go back home | Notes of a returnee ¤d¤

Posts 1 to 5 of 5

Trigger Warning / Note:
This translation is very poor and I need to find a way to make it normal. The text of origin had some literature tricks to make its style fit the idea and the inner rhythm of the story. I don't really see now a way to express it properly in English.

Description:
This is a story of a past that has never been on the Earth. It is the memories of the other and the alien, encapsulated in shreds of thoughts, sensations, nonsensical deja vu, dreams or inherent knowledge.

Dedication:
I want to pay this dedication to an admiral who, according to others, has never served in the navy and has never hit a single ship in his life.

GO BACK HOME

Direct letter One (1)

I live here when I have nowhere else to live. My home is far from here. It is inaccessible: it exists in another world beyond the limits of human vision.

I order a can of soda from the vending machine. Don't give me any change! I need to run faster down the corridor - there, daylight shines through the window, and I haven't seen it on this gray, stifling sky for so long.

In the shell-skyscrapers, there is a smell of rotten, dead oysters. I paint more with watercolors than gouache and oil because it's simpler. Once the oysters wanted to die. Perhaps they were tired of it all and wanted to return to the sea.

I think sunken ships come to the docks where they were built. There, their old masters repair them, patch up the holes. Now they are ready for new voyages. The sailors smile broadly.

I was born where the trees were very tall, and the colors were vibrant. It was a terribly beautiful place. We lived under the wide open sky. I had a home - it seemed to be made of logs, or maybe it simply grew out of the ground like a mushroom. Poppies, rhododendrons, and occasionally salvias, my favorite flowers here, grew in the fields. There were fields of yellow, dried wheat.

In my world, there were always many birds, even more creatures pretending to be birds. Perhaps I, too, sometimes was a bird, and that's why I stubbornly try to take flight in my dreams. I always feel like I'm at home. Unfortunately, that's not the case: my home is far away.

Here, there are towers made of large, bone-like plants. These towers are built in the most desolate deserts. Once in a few millennia, the sea approaches them, and its inhabitants quickly run through the dunes away from the onslaught of the waves. Then the wind sweeps through the heights and cleanses the towers of sea salt. Sooner or later, those hiding in the sands will return to their renewed homes.

I have never lived in the towers, but I have certainly been inside one of them. I spoke there with a wise man. Twigs of cranberry were woven into his gray beard. Cranberries sometimes grew even in the desert, but never by the sea.

There was very bright grass. Green-green. I think I had a son. I don't remember his name. There was a sister. Her name cannot be pronounced in this language, but I remember it. Sometimes, in my dreams, I repeat it. Only at night, in my resting state, do I remember my old language. It sounds like a gentle touch on another person's shoulder, a timid request for initial contact, a connection between sentient beings.

Now, pleading for a connection, as I touch someone's shoulder, I am surprised. I don't hear direct refusals, but I read incomprehension in their eyes. I read mistrust in their eyes and I read that the game has begun. We will play with words.

And then, I could only touch a shoulder.

In my home, we played a game similar to chess. The pieces were placed on a small wooden table, and the players sat opposite each other on small wooden stools. It was necessary to look into the eyes of the person sitting across from you. Anything could be read in their eyes: that's what we said. I believed it because it was true.

We had fields and meadows. Bright, radiant sun, crickets in the grass, convoluted paths, and formidable enemies. We loved our loved ones so purely that we spoke the truth to them.

I open the soda can and hear a slight fizz. The bubbles escape from the drink. I take a sip.

Where I was born, the drink was thicker.

That's why I buy Teddy juice with banana and carrot.

The can is made of tin and has an unpleasant cylindrical shape. I don't like holding it in my hand, but I need to replenish the liquid in my body. I'll endure it.

The smell of oysters is slightly muted, and I see someone by the windowsill, who, like me, is gazing at the unexpectedly appearing sunlight in the middle of the day. My eyes almost pop out of their sockets.

"Do you miss home?" he asks.

And I tell him that I do.

"You need to board a train," he says. "There is a train. It goes where you need to go. It travels through the desert and spans miles above the water. It goes through the grass amidst beetles and ladybugs. You will need to buy a ticket, but it won't be an easy task."

I know, I tell him. I know that all I need to do is get on the big train. It will arrive at the station amid the dew-covered grass. When I step off the platform, I will walk through the trees and reach the lake. The water will be cold, surrounded by reeds and water lilies. I will merge with the water. Still in a human body, yet being myself.

Last edited by Ranunculus (Apr 2 2023 23:22:29)

GO BACK HOME

Direct letter Two (2)

Where I was born, there was an island of blue and golden colors. It was snowy and wintery. Its nature was dying. Here and there, grapes grew on the forest edges. I would pluck dry, sour bunches and greedily eat them, savoring the spicy, mouth-puckering juice.

The nature of this world hid beneath the snow from something wicked and wild. I would find lingonberries among the dry grass and stuff my mouth with them. It tasted delicious and good. But like the grass and trees, I sought shelter.

As I walked toward the sea, where it was sunny during the day but cold breezes blew at night, I encountered a man-garden. He had his hands merged with the roots of a large tree, and blue forget-me-nots sprouted from his mouth. I stood there for a long time, watching the frost settle on the man's lips. He smiled, and his eyes with pink irises looked at me as if he knew everything and wanted to tell me, to open my eyes. But his mouth was occupied by forget-me-nots, and he did not speak. In his pink eyes, I also saw flowers. Far beyond the glistening, sunlit sclera, summer reigned.

The man-garden. His hands were green with moss. People had wounded him, and his back was bloodied. Grass grew from the cuts. The man-garden.

I passed by him and smiled, turning back to bid farewell. His forget-me-nots turned their heads toward me and nodded softly. I knew I would never see him again.

Finally, I reached the sea. It was noon, and the sand was hot, almost scorching. Waves lapped at my feet, and I would retreat every time a wave tried to lick the tips of my toes. I knew that if a wave overwhelmed a person, they would never return. Waves carry people away into the sea.

Carefully, I walked on the wet sand, fearing that the air would flood me. Oh, how foolish, but not entirely baseless! The sea not only nourishes but also devours.

Between the rocks and the sea, there was a thin strip of sandy beach. I thought I would be almost happy if I met you here. You, a little girl in a blue dress, would smile at me like no one else.

I would take your hand. We would walk along the coastline together. With you, I would not be afraid of any wave.

But the delusion disappeared. The water touched my feet, and I panicked, rushing back to the forests and winter. I ran past caves where monsters lived, trampling on red lingonberries, plucking grape clusters on the go and throwing them to the ground.

It became so cold that my skin was covered in goosebumps.

I haven't seen you since we became adults. Maybe the sea swept you away? You were careless. You were always so careless, not afraid of the water. Oh, you would wade into the waves up to your waist, letting your hair flow, laughing, splashing around in the depths.

Now you walk among fish. Once, you walked among people.

And I walk among birds. Maybe among amphibians?

My dry, gnarled fingers touched pale cheeks. I passed by an oak tree, and my eyes widened in astonishment: the lifeless body of the man-garden was decaying, dusted with snow.

GO BACK HOME

Direct letter Three (3)

"The house crumbles like a card Eiffel Tower with the gentlest touch."

On the dark old station, there are people waiting: my sister and my little son. It's difficult to remember those faces, difficult and painful, knowing that I have to leave.
Moments of happiness are worth this pain.

"When will Daddy come out of prison to live with us?"

"Daddy will never come out of prison, my dear."

Through the yellow waves of fields surrounding the railway, one can sail. The cornflower grows in labyrinths, resembling the convolutions of the cerebral cortex. To dip one's face in yellow and wait until the skin turns yellow, like gilded with the flowers of the sun. Clouds crawl across the sky, and one needs to blow into the sky, cheeks strained, brushing them away like crumbs of white bread that fall onto the blue tablecloth.

"I have learned to understand birds."

"He is growing so clever!"

The lark lands on a tiny table made of plywood, curiously turning its head and delivering the latest news. The message is encrypted in its behavior and ruffled feathers. Rumors do not lie: decay is spreading westward, decay will come to the shores, and then immortality will turn into a curse, eternal torment. In such moments, confinement becomes less frightening, and the pain dictated by the fate of loved ones torments the heart.

"We all carry something like decay within us, my dear..."

"But he's still just a child!"

"...A bomb is harbored within each of us. Maybe when it explodes, we will return home."

"Will they release you from prison?"

"The prison will rot along with its causes."

My sister sighs and strokes the lark on its small, tense head. It knows the value of silence and, therefore, tightly clasps its beak, ensuring that no tender song pours out of it, something so inconceivable in our conversation.

We leave the station.

The yellow plants will become the sun when the earth plunges into a nightmare, the lark promises as a farewell. We do not hear this.

"I saw the Scarlet Man," my sister says over tea. "He asked about you, and I gave him a false lead to the northern principalities."

"Was he the same as always?"

"Decay did not touch him. They say he gave it life, but I don't believe it. Why would the Scarlet Man rise against this world?"

"Neither do I."

I want to see the Scarlet Man, and this desire is inexplicable. Our struggle is the guarantee of my sanity, the sobriety of my mind. Who am I without our struggle? What purpose does my chaos serve? And I know: the Scarlet Man hates decay. As long as his will propels him, decay will move slowly. The Scarlet Man does not forgive victories to his rivals.

I miss the Tower of a Thousand Stained Glass. Perhaps that's the point: those who turn around are not pursued, and those who have lost fear do not receive threatening letters.

"Each of us needs an antipode in order to remain oneself."

My sister shakes her head disapprovingly.
My son spills the tea and carefully traces an octopus shape with his fingertip in the puddle.

"I'm studying the behavior of water," he clarifies.

He was an Artist whose paintings no one had ever seen. Only with him could I talk about love without stumbling upon attempts to rearrange things that have no place, putting them in their places.

"I am in love with water," he said. "Understanding the behavior of water makes one a master painter. This is the final station. There is another pole: understanding the nature of fire. But when one touches the nature of fire, they lose their sanity."

The Artist removes his straw hat and scoops up water with it from the sea. Waves lick our feet. Several smooth small stones collect in the hat. The Artist watches with fascination as some of them seep through the gaps between the straws and return to the sea.

"What would you choose if you were the Artist?"

"I would paint people."

The Artist smiles.

"One must have truly great love in their heart to desire an understanding of human nature."

He tells me about his first love, which turned into a fish and disappeared forever into the sea. He says he misses her but respects this longing and carries it in his heart as a memory of humanity's capacity to love.

"It doesn't matter where she is now. She taught me to see beauty in the ordinary details of the day. I fell in love with stones because she loved stones."

He chuckles and, looking into my eyes, adds, "I will never paint fish."

GO BACK HOME

Direct letter Four (4)

I rushed through the corridors and floors, trapped in a time and space of another time, like a fish in an aquarium.
I closed my eyes and found myself in the domain of the Scarlet Man. I couldn't see him, but I knew: he reaches out to me with his large, strong hands with long, sturdy fingers, and time is running out. Here, every tapestry is a time bomb.
And I rushed through the corridors.
The walls were luxurious, black and gold, the ceilings adorned with intricate reliefs, the furniture wooden and carved by the scalpel of skilled masters, with inlaid eyes, the work of man but lacking true life.
The inlay resembles the name of Procrustes. He was a giant, and the Scarlet Man is also a giant. Compared to him, I am a speck on an open plain.

I stopped by the window, barred by an invisible lattice of borders. Beyond the border, a blue abyss of another world stretched out, devouring one's gaze. The Scarlet Man's hands would barely reach through it, I thought. I stopped by the facet glass, extended my hand, thoughtlessly and confidently, and so it was, because I knew that time was ending, ending with its persistent ticking.
Minutes are like flies, especially the departing ones.

I passed my hand through the window, and a splash of shards splattered into my face, immediately covering it with tiny strokes of red.
"You should not hurt yourself," the Scarlet Man would softly and fatherly say, if he could see it. "Never should you."
But I hurt myself, and my fist piston-pumped through the window: there and back. And when enough holes appeared in the crystal, I broke off the sharp edges of the remaining glass with my fingers, throwing them on the floor. I chose the largest window in the palace, the one I could easily exit through.

And so I stepped out, hesitated for a fraction of a second, red like the Scarlet Man, but red from my own blood. I reached out my hands, grasping the blueness of the air, and leaped into the abyss between worlds.

I opened my eyes. My eyelashes were stuck together with frost. Between these worlds, there was winter, and I found myself in winter too - blue and white, with large snowflakes falling down. There was a cheerful fair, colorful tents inviting guests inside. I walked along the street, anxious and wounded, looking at faces, and saw no one naked - everyone was covered with masks.

I was afraid, but merry music was playing, and there was plenty of white, while I was the only one in red at the square.

Then I calmed down a bit, continuing on, but my path was blocked by a madman, toothless and spinning balls with his hollowed eyes:
"Run," he said. "He is close."

And I ran in circles around the carousel. Wherever I rushed, the world transformed into a colorful fair's skirt, in the folds of which I got lost, searching for the right street but falling into confetti and joyful chaos once again.

GO BACK HOME

Direct letter Five (5)

The Ox-eyed is a big pink dragon, resembling a snake. He jumps high and therefore appears to be able to fly.
In another form, he looks like an old man with birds instead of eyes. These birds have shiny heads, making them seem like pupils.
Today, he attacked my son. He has a cousin sister who is quick and energetic, while my son is quiet and contemplative. He simply disappeared.

He was walking alone in the forest when he saw a table with a chessboard and two chairs on the forest path. He loved chess. Then the old man with bird-eyed eyes suggested playing chess, and my son couldn't refuse.
When I arrived there, they were both sitting at the chess table. Life was playing in the old man; his wrinkles seemed fresh, and green grass gradually grew from the bird-eyed eyes. My son's face turned pale, devoid of life.

"He's consuming his energy," my sister, a flexible and understanding woman, told me. "I will go after the old man, the admiral," she said. "I will bring him."
The neighbor in a shabby old coat was called the admiral. It all started when he introduced himself as one during a meeting. Many laughed at him, but the admiral himself was usually serious, albeit naive.

She brought the admiral, and when he looked at the Ox-eyed, who was consuming my son's life, he immediately became thoughtful and grim. The sky was cloudy. The admiral said that we couldn't just take my son and carry him away from the Ox-eyed; he wouldn't wake up. Energy can be consumed even from a distance. My son agreed to this when he didn't refuse to play chess with the bird-eyed old man.

Meanwhile, the grass in the Ox-eyed's eyes began to resemble the outlines of human eyes. My son's gaze, open and blind, grew dim.

My sister said something in a foreign language, and the Ox-eyed woke up, shook his head discontentedly, transforming into a huge pink dragon. My niece rushed forward, luring him along, and he chased after her, she laughed. He started consuming her energy, momentarily distracted from my son.

"You're not eating me!" she shouted cheerfully in excitement. "You're consuming the foreign parts of my energy, external to the vampiric border*. Stupid fool, I'm not afraid!"

We were worried about her, knowing that when the "foreign parts" ran out, the Ox-eyed would cross the vampiric border.
The admiral had disappeared somewhere. My son was sitting at the chess table, his head resting on the board, toppling some of the pieces.

My niece wouldn't endure forever.
The chase seemed to last an eternity, and we were at the edge of the universe, standing and gazing at the stars and the battle. My niece stopped laughing; the Ox-eyed had consumed much of her life.

Then we saw the admiral. He walked steadily, but it was evident that it took a lot of strength. In his hand, he held something—a knife.

"Come here! Come to me!" he shouted, beckoning, and the long, heavy body of the Ox-eyed lunged toward him. Then we heard a gasp. Well, first, there was a long gaze between the two, and then a gasp: the Ox-eyed sank his teeth into the admiral's neck. The admiral stabbed him in the chest with a knife.

Both of them rolled down from the edge of the universe into nothingness, where there was no air or life.

My son opened his eyes. My niece weakly smiled. My sister helped her stand up.
I stood there, pensively looking at what was beyond the edge.

He was an admiral, and whether he killed on the sea battlefield didn't matter.
He died like a true admiral, that old man in a worn-out coat.
Let the stars sing for him.

I woke up.

------
Vampiric border.
If the model of human energy is a circle, then the vampiric border is a circle inside it, within which all the energy belongs to the person, and outside it is the energy that can be obtained and given without much effort.

Quick post

Write and submit your message

You are here » Indomitum » Stories EN » Go back home | Notes of a returnee ¤d¤